Why work for Lafarge?
Lafarge in Canada is proud to provide construction solutions in the buildings, infrastructure and industrial segments. These solutions are built with high performance products from our cement, aggregates, ready-mix concrete, asphalt and road construction, and concrete products divisions. From the use of alternative materials and recycling to renewable energy, Lafarge's focus is to develop innovative products that can contribute toward sustainably constructed building solutions. Lafarge takes personal growth and development to heart, and provides resources for our employees to take control of their own careers. Through our commitment to communities, to the health and safety of our employees and their families, or through the many volunteer hours of our employees, Lafarge demonstrates our care for people. If you want to work in an environment that values hard work, entrepreneurship, and collaborative teamwork, Lafarge is for you. Building Better Cities is what we do. Come Build a Better Career with us! More information can be found at www.lafarge.ca/en/careers .
Reporting to the Geographic Health and Safety Manager, the incumbent is responsible for providing support, training and facilitation to all employees within the Geography with the goal of minimizing health and safety risk. The incumbent promotes a proactive approach to health and safety throughout the organization.
- Provide direct H&S support to site Safety Committees, Management and Employees.
- Assist in the analysis of training needs and development of H&S training program
- Coordinate and deliver effective H & S training programs.
- Assist sites in conducting risk analysis and job safety instructions.
- Ensure compliance with OHS laws and regulations at Federal, Provincial and Municipal level as well as Lafarge Group’s H&S standards and advisories.
- Assist site management with the review of safety objectives, identifying improvement areas and developing annual action plans.
- Assist site management and safety committees in the development of incident investigation reports, root cause analysis of incidents and effective corrective actions.
- Perform annual site compliance reviews that meet Occupational Health & Safety laws and regulations at Federal, Provincial and Municipal level as well as Lafarge Group standards and Advisories
- Plan, organize, schedule and conduct HSMS (Standards and Advisory) inspections of facilities, work areas and equipment.
- Monitor and follow up with site management on corrective actions
- Support site management in the implementation of HSMS and COR audit requirements
- Participate in joint OH&S committees as required and develop and implement programs directed at supporting internal responsibility in the management of workplace safety.
- Support site management and safety committees in review and implementation of H&S priorities, tool box talks, best practices, safety observations, FLRAs and SSDS.
- Support sites in implementation of Group Ambitions in regards to Ergonomics, Silica and Noise exposure reductions.
- Assure utilization of established systems by the sites to assist in minimizing accidents.
- Assure timely and effective follow up of Business Unit and site safety activities.
- Assure site compliance with Lafarge Group Health and Safety Policy/11 rules, H&S processes and initiatives; and Provincial/Federal regulations.
Relationships with Other Jobs:
- Functions as a peer to site management, as a N-2 from PL/Geography President
- Works with and coaches site management and plant/site employees on implementation of Health and Safety Management Systems, Processes and Training.
- Engaging, coaching and influencing the site and functional leaders with the health and safety activities and processes with a target of 80% of “face time” within his or her area of responsibility.
- Works with H&S Manager in determining Business Unit/Geographic priorities and developing policies/procedures
- Interface with peers in other Business Units/Geographies in the development of programs and systems.
Education & Experience:
- University Degree, College or Technical Diploma in H&S related field
- 5 years of work experience in construction or industrial site (H&S, Operations, HR)
- 5-7 years in the construction, manufacturing or heavy equipment industry
- 3 years of H&S related experience an asset
- OHS Professional Certification preferred (CRSP, CSP, CIH, etc.)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Willing to learn H&S principles in Construction
- Excellent Communication and Organizational Skills
- Capable of development and delivering training sessions
- Familiar with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point
- Experience in training/facilitation (adult education)
- Familiarity with applicable legislation, codes, standards and best practices in occupational health and safety
- Experience coaching and supporting site operations on development and implementation of health and safety improvements
- Ability to influence and collaborate with management and staff to create and implement ideas
- Experience conducting investigations and providing written responses/reports
- Use of Microsoft Office tools, information, data, presentation software (Excel, Powerpoint and Word)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, able to break down problems and provide practical solutions
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication, negotiation, facilitation, conflict resolution, and crisis management skills
Through LafargeHolcim’s 2030 Plan, Lafarge is committed to providing solutions using sustainable manufacturing practices and improving the environment in and around its operations. The company has a sixty year history in Canada and works continually to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, restore wetlands for native plants and animals, and identify waste materials that can be recycled and used in our operations.