Join Canada’s lifeline
We’re seeking Laboratory Assistant - Float, Distribution to join our team.
Be part of a dynamic, innovative, collaborative, diverse and caring organization committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians. We are the connection between the sincere generosity of donors, and the heartfelt appreciation of recipients. Thousands of Canadians depend on our programs every day for reliable access to safe blood, plasma, stem cells, organs and tissues.
Are you ready to embark on a meaningful and inspiring journey, where what you do matters? Be part of Canada’s lifeline. Because we can all be the reason, the connection, that keeps Canadians living.
Performs a variety of functions related to the preparation, storage, transformation, issuing, and receiving of blood and blood products.
- Takes orders for blood and blood products from hospitals and determines suitability of available inventory to fill order as requested or with substitutions
- Communicates with hospital blood bank Medical Laboratory Technologists about orders placed, as required
- Batches and prepares orders in order of priority and time of delivery to ensure compliance within established parameters for time and temperature limits during transit
- Performs routine irradiation of blood and blood products as per established guidelines
- Labels blood and blood products with relevant information after transformation processes such as irradiation
- Performs washing, deglycerolization and freezing of red blood cells as directed by Medical Laboratory Technologists using centrifugation instruments and appropriate reagents
- Receives and stores blood and blood products and discards outdated products
- Performs clerical functions such as maintaining records of irradiation for each test run; preparing, telephoning, faxing and e-mailing reports; filing blood and blood product orders and maintenance records
- Performs routine maintenance of blood and blood product storage equipment, such as cleaning shelving and removing frost from freezers. Monitors blood and blood product storage equipment and reports alarms to appropriate personnel
- Moves product to designated alternate storage according to established written procedures
- Documents a description of the incident and immediate actions taken when non-conformances are encountered, such as unsuitable product found during visual inspection or documentation errors
- Assists in orientation of new lab assistants as per established procedures
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Grade 10 plus one year’s recent, related experience OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to organize effectively
- Ability to operate related equipment