A department of Student Affairs, the Centre for Experiential Learning (CEL) engages students in work-integrated learning through cooperative education and internship in a variety of programs. Additionally, the areas provides assistance to all students in their career education and development needs. The CEL is a team of professional career educators whose expertise is related to experiential education, career development and employment. The team provides academic programs and instructional expertise to promote, support and assess applied learning while preparing students to be successful in achieving their career goals. Advancing experiential learning for all students and recognizing the importance of non-credit experiential learning in the holistic development of VIU's graduate attributes, the CEL has introduced several student-focused co-curricular initiatives.
LDsports 注册 The focus of this position is community engagement and relationship development but the candidate must be able to perform all required duties of an internship coordinator including the ability to provide guidance to students through one-to-one connections, small group advising and in-classroom environments as well as develop and deliver curriculum and monitor and assess learning both in the classroom and the workplace.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the Centre for Experiential Learning and the Faculty of Management to identify relevant work-integrated learning opportunities for students by developing and maintaining a network of potential employers and engaging in ongoing internship generation activity including development and implementation of department planned activities and existing community events.
The incumbent will provide support to students and employers in the fulfillment of work-integrated learning experiences including accessing and approving work-integrated learning opportunities mentoring, problem-solving, and evaluating students in the workplace as required.
LDsports 注册 Develop and disseminate educational materials in a variety of formats for the purposes of enhancing work-integrated learning engagement and success for both students and employers.
Support student-employer connections and assist in maintaining an up-to-date employer database and student database for historical and continuing information sources. Work with other internship coordinators to mediate and resolve any student-employer difficulties as necessary.
Adhere to established guidelines for internship activity. Participate in the improvement, development and maintenance of processes, materials and administrative practices.
Follow a data-informed approach to program improvement by establishing, maintaining and analyzing student and employer activity statistics and reports related to the Internship.
Participate as an active member of the CEL team in achieving departmental, divisional and university-wide objectives. Liaise with and establish high functioning collaborative relationships.
LDsports 注册 Successful candidates will participate in a wide range of activities, including, student support; institutional, faculty and departmental committee meetings and other initiatives; and professional activities in keeping with their disciplines in and outside the institution.
LDsports 注册 This position involves some travel.
Successful candidates will participate in a wide range of activities, including, student support; institutional, faculty and departmental committee meetings and other initiatives; and professional activities in keeping with their disciplines in and outside the institution.
- Master's degree in a field related to Business, Social Science or Education from an appropriately accredited institution. A combination of a Bachelor's degree and practical experience in the field may be considered.
- Minimum three years recent, directly-related experience in the area of career education and development or employment services working with youth and adults.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate learning and develop educational resource materials in a variety of formats.
- Experience in experiential learning environments including work-integrated learning, career and employment education, training, advising and support.
- Understanding of labour market analysis, expert knowledge of employability and transferable skills and successful strategies for their development. Proven aptitude for liaising with employers and community service agencies to develop experiential learning opportunities for students. Ability to assess, monitor and evaluate learning in a variety of work experience settings.
- Aptitude for working in intercultural environments with individuals from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Understanding of the unique needs and challenges of international students in Canada, in relation to career engagement and development locally and the interaction between students and employers.
- Ability to work with Indigenous populations. Understanding of and practical ability to recognize
- Indigenous ways of knowing and learning.
- Ability to write clearly and communicate ideas in a variety of ways.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship management and organizational skills. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Capacity to creatively solve problems.
- Relevant computer applications including office productivity software, database management, website management, relevant social media.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 BC Driver's Licence and have a confirmed satisfactory driving record.
- Experience in career education in a post-secondary setting.
- Recent knowledge and/or experience in the delivery of experiential education and work-integrated learning.
- Additional courses in related area, e.g. career counselling, marketing, program development and labour market information.
- Proven interviewing and counselling skills.
- Knowledge of business and related fields.
- Short-listed candidates must provide original transcripts, or applicable original certifications at time of interview.
- All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
- Vancouver Island University embraces the principle of employment equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and people of Aboriginal descent.