$31.60 - $37.18 an hour
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for a regular full-time Recreation Programmer (Aquatics) to join our team of professionals in the Parks and Recreation Division; Recreation Programs and Services Department. Reporting to the Community Recreation Manager, in this unionized position you will be directly responsible for the day-to-day planning, coordinating and scheduling of recreation and fitness activities for all ages for the Township of Langley.Summary of Duties
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and evaluate activities and special events in a multi-use facility
- Schedule and evaluate staff and facility supervision
- Conduct training sessions for staff and ensure equipment maintenance schedules are consistently maintained
- Recruit, hire, schedule, train, and evaluate staff and contract workers
- Requisition supplies and equipment and ensure equipment maintenance schedules are consistently maintained
- Promote and maintain effective working relationships with individuals, organizations and groups with a special interest in assigned programs
- Assist in providing information regarding community recreation programs to interested groups and individuals; attend community meetings on recreation programs and services
- Assist in the preparation, monitoring, and oversight of program budgets
- University graduation in recreation or a related discipline or completion of a certificate program in community recreation, or a related discipline at a recognized institution supplemented by courses related to the area of assignment, and several years’ experience including experience in the area of assignment.
- Sound knowledge of the principles, philosophy, objectives and the means to develop and administer recreation and fitness programs and events with a particular emphasis on program areas assigned
- Knowledge of social, cultural and recreational needs and interests of the particular target group(s) assigned and the methods of determining those needs
- Teaching techniques in one or more of the following areas: amateur sports, physical fitness, arts and crafts, aquatics, arenas, social and cultural, ethnic, for all ages and abilities
- Group Fitness Certification and experience with programming recreation, fitness, or related, and experience with public recreation are considered assets
Team work, initiative, and a strong background in all types of recreation programming, including supervising Fitness centres, working with community groups, volunteers, and participants of all ages are essential.
This position is defined by the Township of Langley as a position of trust (Child Safety). The successful candidate(s) will be required to have a police information check as a condition of employment (Note - Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment).
Required Licenses, Certificates, and Registrations
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications / licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
- BC Class 5 (full-privilege) driver’s license or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driver’s Record (select the ‘5 years’ option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s Licence and the Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
- Standard First Aid and CPR with AED Certification
- Canadian Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certification
- National Lifeguard Pool Certificate
The rate of pay for this CUPE position is $31.60 - $37.18 per hour (5 steps, 2020 rates) plus benefits. The hours of work are 80 hours over a two week period including evenings and weekends; non-standard hours and/or non-standard work week.